St. Clement of Rome Catholic Church was founded on March l9, 1952. Initially, Mass was celebrated at St. Agnes Home on Manchester and Warson Roads on Sundays and Holy Days and at the temporary rectory at 1134 Bopp Road on weekdays. Ground was broken on July l9, 1953, for the first structure on the premises: the eight-classroom school, the cafeteria and the temporary church. Within but a few years, an eight-room addition would be added to the school and the rectory would be built.
In 1965, St. Clement Catholic Church was built and the former church converted into a gymnasium. Then, in 1998, the parish purchased the house at 1456 Bopp Road, immediately south of the rectory, to house its newly instituted Youth Ministry Program and to provide temporary quarters for the school library. In 2001-2002, a four classroom addition to the school was constructed, along with a parish center, a new kitchen, principal's offices and a music/assembly room.
Presently, St. Clement Parish numbers just under 5000 parishioners. There are 360 students enrolled in the elementary school and 130 in the Parish School of Religion.
These facts and statistics are easy to recount, but the richest aspect of our parish's history is impossible to quantify. The friendships that have been formed, the mutual support that has been experienced, the works of charity that have been extended, the memories that have been stored, the praise and glory given to Almighty God are all among the most important factors that make St. Clement parish the warm spiritual home we are so privileged to call our own.
St. Clement Mission Statement
- We the family of St. Clement of Rome are children of God, united with Christ through Baptism and guided by the Holy Spirit.
- We are called to the mission of Jesus Christ: To love God through love for one another.
- We strive for an openness that allows all persons to be and to feel that they are part of the parish community.
- We strive to be a spiritual family through prayer and the sacraments.
- We strive to proclaim the Gospel of Salvation in today's world.
- We strive to live the law of love through service to our neighbors, near and far.